03 July 2008

The Only Living Girl in New York

Hey all! Not much time for a big update at the moment. I have been in New York City since Tuesday afternoon and it has been a jam-packed crazy schedule. Right now, I am at the New York University Library where--after a much needed restroom/water stop--I will begin sifting through the Tamiment Library Labor Archives. For whatever reason, this special collection at NYU houses all the letters of Rose Pastor Stokes, one of the Jewish radical women I am researching. I'm interested in her relationship to Emma Goldman during the beginning of the birth control movement in the United States. She wrote this very obscure play called The Woman Who Wouldn't that touched upon many of the moral issues relating to birth control and abortion. According to some scholarship I have read, she was encouraged by the ideas of Emma Goldman to write this play, so I hope that I can find something useful in her correspondence to substantiate that. Wish me luck. My next update will have pictures and full details.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your Paul Simon reference! Good luck with your research!

Jane Street said...

Aw, my library! <3

-jaaaane